Thursday, April 11, 2013

Search Skills Blog



     For this post, I was to find a peer reviewed, full text article about library website design. The title of the article that I found is "Library Website Design and Database Access" by Barbara T. Mates. The article was published in the academic journal Library Technology Reports as a part of the May/June 2004 issue, volume 40, Issue 3. I found my article in the EBSCO Host Academic Search Premiere database through the Ivy Tech Virtual Library. I found this article by simply typing in library website design, in all lower case, in the search bar of Academic Search Premiere.

     "Library Website Design and Database Access" alludes to our previous session of assistive technology by stating that library website design should be detailed enough for patrons to find information successfully, but at the time same should be accessible for those with physical disabilities. According to this article, the library website is no longer a novelty, and is now a necessity in this technology driven world. This article touches on many of the concepts that were mentioned in Chapter 12 of our textbook such as how a library website should be remote accessible for users. I do happen to have some personal experience with website design. About six or seven years ago now when I was in middle school, I became incredibly curious with how websites were designed.

     After some quick research, I stumbled across HTML, and then began to teach myself how to use it. I would make fake websites through notepad when I would get bored, and did make a website of sorts back in the day through a free domain provider, but I'm not sure if it even exists anymore. I had and still have a lot of fun with HTML, and thanks to it, I've considered the position of web librarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment